Street photography, according to me is the most interesting, intuitive and captivating form of photography. Clicking the random people and objects present on the roads may seem weird, but it is a unique experience for every photographer and can contribute a lot in his learning graph in the art.
The idea behind street photography is to record different behavioral patterns of people. One must be ready with the correct angle and shoot the subject quickly at the moment where something picturesque is happening. This is just one aspect as you can also shoot people in the simple pose highlighting their peculiar outfit, hairstyle, accessories, etc.
Street portraits contribute to the valuable treasure of history all around the world. The quality of the images depends on the security and property laws in the concerned region and the subject’s sensitiveness towards their privacy.
Many successful photographers in London experiment clicking different types of shots in street photography.
I must tell you that the rules of the game have changed over time as more and more people are aware about this and are open to being portrayed in their natural look and showing their daily life mannerisms. But, taking their permission is a must to avoid them getting offended.
Way to discover people
Street photography is a way to discover people as:
- You get to interact with people who are complete strangers. This improves your communication and persuasion skills.
- Also, you get to know different kinds of people.
But, to convince them to be clicked, you have to give a logical reason, which clears all the qualms arising in their mind.
How to get that ‘yes’?
To be seen as a genuine and trustworthy person, you have to take care of the following points so that people respect your intentions and allow you to take their picture.
1. Talk to them with confidence.
2. On asking, come up with a specific reason to shoot them.
3. Never pressurize anyone.
4. Take rejections gracefully.
5. Don’t be too demanding.
6. Thank them after clicking their pictures.
How to grow?
- To get your hands at street photography, you must be determined to click a good number of pictures whenever you step out to follow this passion.
- Expand your horizons and shoot people, walls, traffic signals, signboards, etc.
- Capture various climatic conditions, i.e.
brightdays, rainfall, snowfall, etc.
To be a known street photographer in London, you must practice your skills and read about the art through various mediums.